Re: Combining roughly 70 separate files into a single book

From: Brent Annable
Subject: Re: Combining roughly 70 separate files into a single book
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 20:39:52 +1000

Federico,

Thank you very much for this. I had no idea that's what I'd been doing wrong all this time! I tried it many years ago and just assumed it was impossible -- my eyes have been opened. Now I can get on with things.

With much gratitude,

Brent.

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 19:56, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
Il giorno lun 4 mag 2020 alle 14:39, Brent Annable
<address@hidden> ha scritto:
> Your strategy seems like good advice, and I've changed the files
> around so I can do it. But the master file is getting very long and
> complicated with all the \score blocks, so I have a question: can you
> put a \score block into a variable, to avoid all the extra code in
> the master file? Whenever I try to do that I get an error message,
> using the syntax below:

This is exactly what I do: I save each score block in a variable so I
can use it wherever I want to.

> myScore = { \score { \new Staff [etc.] } }
>
> \myScore
>
> Is there some special way of putting the \score block into a variable
> so it doesn't produce an error?

David has already given the solution: you should not wrap it using {}