Re: detecting the start and end of a polyphonic passage from scheme

From: Maurits Lamers
Subject: Re: detecting the start and end of a polyphonic passage from scheme
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 17:44:05 +0200

Hi all,

The way the staff is usually printed (through format and display) already gave
me that idea, but it is good to see it confirmed.

Let me try to sketch my problem and perhaps you could help me find an answer on
how to achieve it.
I am trying to find a way that I can serialize the voices and their content.
The maximum size of the serialization block is a bar.
Within this bar, I need to be able to order voices from low to high or the
other way around.
The polyphony in the serialization is indicated as either being full bar,
partial bar or a combination of both.

My technique currently is to use (par) and (seq) to indicate parallel or
sequential structures.
The example below would become something like this

(par (seq g1) (seq g'8 e'8 (par (seq a'8. g'16 f'8 e'16 f' g' f' e' d') (seq
c'8 a d'8. c'16 b8 a16 b ))))

or by only describing the voices:

(par (seq "bottom") (seq "one" (par (seq "two") (seq "three")) )

The actual serialized output would then be (indicators between []) :

g'8 e'8 [start partial polyphony] a'8. g'16 f'8 e'16 f' g' f' e' d'
[simultaneous voice start] c'8 a d'8. c'16 b8 a16 b [start full measure
polyphony] g1

From the structure above it is doable to get to this serialization as the
initialization order because the order of events will be

start of voice 1
start of voice 2
g'8 (voice 1)
g1 (voice 2)
e'8 (voice 1)
start of voice 3
start of voice 4

This allows me to "anchor" the partial bar polyphony to voice 1 as it is the
last note.

I however realized that this approach is problematic in case the separation
starts one eighth earlier, as it is no longer possible to find which voice is
actually a partial bar
polyphony or a whole bar.

Any kind of hierarchical info on those voices would have helped me make the
separation properly. As it obviously doesn't work this way, I need a different
approach.
I do see a solution which I saw before I took this approach, which is that I
run rhythmically through the bar and "sort" the notes into the voices by
keeping track of what sounds simultaneously. To be honest I have no clue how to
do this. Moreover, there might be a better / easier way?

Thanks in advance,

cheers

Maurits