Re: Forced lyric hyphen

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Forced lyric hyphen
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 08:32:04 -0700

On 2020-07-11 7:33 am, Fr. Samuel Springuel wrote:
Is there a tweak/override that can be applied which will force a
particular lyric hyphenEvent to always appear show its hyphen (moving
lyrics/notes around if needed)?  I’m trying to deal with hyphenated
words (“loving-kindness” in this particular example) and the
hyphenEvent hyphen disappears under some circumstances if I use it
exclusively and manually inserting a text hyphen into one of the
syllables makes for an inconsistent double hyphen in others:

\version "2.20.0"

\new Staff
<<
    \new Voice = "mel" { g' g' g' g' }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mel" { lov -- ing -- kind -- ness }

\new Staff
<<
    \new Voice = "mel" { g'( f') g'( f') g'( f') g'( f') }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mel" { lov -- ing- -- kind -- ness }

I ran into this issue setting hymns which often have closely packed words. This helper function is from my library of common utilities:

%%%%
\version "2.20.0"

forceHyphen = \lyricmode {
  \once \override LyricHyphen.minimum-distance = #2
}

{ b'8 8 8 8 }
\addlyrics { lov -- \forceHyphen ing -- kind -- ness }
%%%%

Note that the \override needs to occur before the syllable that precedes the hyphen.

-- Aaron Hill