Syntax for ligature brackets

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Syntax for ligature brackets
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 10:32:38 -0400

All the other features that join two or more notes start after the first
note, e.g. a slur is:
      a( b)
and a beam is:
     a[b]

But a ligature bracket is:

    \[a b\]

I'm not saying this is wrong, and I'm certainly not saying it should be
changed.  But it would help me remember when I haven't transcribed a
ligature for a few months if someone explained why it was done  this
way.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Like most of those who study history, he [Napoleon] learned from the
mistakes of the past how to make new ones.

A. J. P. Taylor