Re: Beam breaking

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Beam breaking
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 06:15:33 +0200

Hi Andrew,

sorry that I was confused by your example (which actually was *not*
"minimal", with the excess information being actively misleading. The
keyword "breakable" in combination with the explicit beams made me
think you were after a broken beam, not also about the line break.)

OK: You can only break lines at barlines, which you took care of with
the Timing command.
But you can also only break lines at a musical event, not at some point
between. In the example you gave the first c'' would occur at some
point within the measure after the line break, which is of course
pretty ambiguous and which I assume LilyPond won't accept for that
reason.

You can get LilyPond to break by adding an event like this:

%%%

\version "2.21.3"
\paper {
  system-count = 2
}

{
  \time 7/8
  \set Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 1/4)
  \override Beam.breakable = ##t
  \tuplet 7/8 {
    b'16 b' b' b'32 ~
    \break
    b'32
    c''16 c'' c''
  } |
}

%%%

and fake the appearance with some trickery:

%%%

{
  \time 7/8
  \set Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 1/4)
  \override Beam.breakable = ##t
  \tuplet 7/8 {
    b'16 b' b' b'16*1/2 ~
    \break