Re: adjusting vertical positions of start and end of tie

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: adjusting vertical positions of start and end of tie
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 15:59:43 -0700

On 2020-08-06 3:34 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Look at this example

  \relative c' {
    \clef "alto" d'2 \tweak positions #'(8 . 4) ~
    \clef "treble" d2
  }

The `\tweak positions` doesn't work – which is kind-of expected.
However, for this very situation it would be nice if I could change
the start and end position of the slur manually.

Of course, it would be even better if LilyPond could handle this
situation automatically :-)

I have never encountered this scenario before, so I am quite curious. What is the correct behavior? (I need to pick up a copy of Gould's book, though that presumes she has addressed this.)

I see at least three options:

- The tie should be sloped like a slur.
- The tie should be split into a two halves (possibly dotted/dashed), each half attached to the terminal notes but individually still horizontal to keep it distinct from a slur. - The tie should be rendered as a \laissezVibrer and \repeatTie combination.

-- Aaron Hill