Re: adjusting vertical positions of start and end of tie

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: adjusting vertical positions of start and end of tie
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 02:54:15 +0100

On 2020-08-06 3:34 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Look at this example

  \relative c' {
    \clef "alto" d'2 \tweak positions #'(8 . 4) ~
    \clef "treble" d2
  }

The `\tweak positions` doesn't work ­ which is kind-of expected. However, for this very situation it would be nice if I could change the start and end position of the slur manually.

Of course, it would be even better if LilyPond could handle this situation automatically :-)

I have never encountered this scenario before, so I am quite curious.
What is the correct behavior? (I need to pick up a copy of Gould's book, though that presumes she has addressed this.)

She has - on page 9.

I see at least three options:

- The tie should be sloped like a slur.
- The tie should be split into a two halves (possibly dotted/dashed), each half attached to the terminal notes but individually still horizontal to keep it distinct from a slur.
- The tie should be rendered as a \laissezVibrer and \repeatTie combination.

Gould writes "Avoid changing a clef during a tied note, as the tie will look cumbersome. If this cannot be avoided, the clef is best changed at a system break". She gives three examples:

o "recommended" has the tie split across a system break at the same vertical position, with the clef change delayed until after the second part of the tied note.

o "acceptable" has the clef change at the system break, with each part of the tie being horizontal and appropriately positioned to its note - in different positions vertically, that is.

o "incorrect" has a tie winding its way from one vertical position to another, in the process wrapping around the new clef sign.

See https://preview.tinyurl.com/tieClefChange (page 9).

Brian Barker