Re: accidentals and broken bars

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: accidentals and broken bars
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 22:25:57 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> Folks,
>

> look at this example:
>
>   \paper {
>     line-width = 50\mm
>   }
>
>   { c'4 cis' \bar "" \break
>     cis' c' }
>
> Is there a possibility to automatically get a sharp accidental for the
> third quarter note?  I could neither find a hint in the manual nor in
> the regression tests...

Accident rules are implemented before line-breaking.  If they were to
take line-breaking into account, they'd need to be quite more complex.
There is some special-cased code trying to fudge around an accidental on
a tied note broken across a barline (it should have a repeated
accidental only when a linebreak occurs) but it cannot deal with
followup changes: if another note with an accidental follows, _that_
accidental always is printed even if spurious.

One would have to think up a good data structure to cater in advance for
all possible line breaks and how to write rules in anticipation of it.

--
David Kastrup