Re: line-breaking issue

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: line-breaking issue
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:40:36 +1000

Hello Ahanu,

Thanks for sending the file. I had a good look at it. What we confront
all the time when engraving is that music often simply does not fit
the page. I can't find any way to make this piece fit on two pages at
that staff size. The fact is, it's simply too long. Personally I find
it readable if you leave out system-count = 20, but I understand that
may not be your preference. If you set systems-per-page = 10 (and
remove system-count) it looks good and spacious on three pages. You
may have to compromise with that. You could reduce the staff-staff
spacing, but I think you don't want that. Apart from these ideas, I am
at a loss for a solution.

I encountered a similar problem just recently with a 300  page string
quartet I am engraving where some dense pages simply ran off (its
complicated to explain). In the end the composer suggested going
smaller, and it all looks fine and readable. In my case also, there
was no other way than reducing the staff size globally.

Andrew