Re: Frenched score and rehearsal marks.

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Frenched score and rehearsal marks.
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 13:28:57 +0100

At 13:10 on 12 Aug 2020, Hwaen Ch'uqi wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> In preparing an orchestral score, I am running into a very practical
> question that others surely must have encountered. I have removed
> Mark_engraver from the score context and placed it in the appropriate
> staff contexts - that is, in the uppermost staff of each instrument
> family. Furthermore, in order to reduce space, I have invoked
> \RemoveEmptyStaves in the staff context of the layout block. However,
> there are then many occasions when rehearsal marks naturally do not
> appear, because the relevant staff is appropriately hidden. In fact, I
> have entire pages where no rehearsal marks appear, even though more
> than one has actually occurred! Of course, I could get around this by
> including Mark_engraver in all staves, but this sort of duplication is
> precisely what I am trying to avoid. Has anyone a solution? This
> question also applies to Metronome_mark_engraver. Could the answer lie
> somehow in the StaffGroup context? Having trouble to wrap my head
> around it!

I needed to do this a few years ago and couldn't find a way without patching
the Keep_alive_together_engraver. David K rightly rejected my patch (which was
not fully worked through, although did enable this particular usage). I'm
afraid I haven't had a chance to look at it again since then.

Details here: https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/4973

--
Mark Knoop