Re: Help with Midi

From: Hwaen Ch'uqi
Subject: Re: Help with Midi
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 03:10:45 -0400

Greetings David,

You are echoing many questions that I have had for quite a while. The
only tidbit that I can offer is that, using the freepats sound font,
nonpitched percussion seems to work. Once you have installed freepats,
go into your /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg file, and you should find a
line that says:

# source /etc/timidity/freepats.cfg

Uncomment that line and comment the line showing where fluidr3_gm is
found, and then the freepats should be accessible. Interestingly, the
first line of the freepats.cfg file reads:

dir /usr/share/midi/freepats

Looking at that directory, one finds two subdirectories containing the
various .pat files that are the basis of that sound font. What I
wonder is whether or not other .pat files - assuming that this is the
common extension used in other sound fonts (I have absolutely no idea
of this) - could be swapped in or out to create the ideal set of
sounds that you are looking for. Has anyone else thoughts on this or
other of David's questions?

Hwaen Ch'uqi