Re: Help with Midi

From: peter
Subject: Re: Help with Midi
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 07:34:16 +1000

>>>>> "David" == David Sumbler <david@aeolia.co.uk> writes:

David> What I should like to know is 1) how can I use drum and other
David> untuned percussion sounds?  2) I notice that fluidr3_gm has
David> dozens - probably hundreds - of extra sounds and instruments
David> beyond the standard 128.  How can I access these?  3) how can I
David> use other soundfonts?  There seem to be a lot of free
David> soundfonts available on line, but I have no idea how I would
David> use them.  It would be nice to have a decent trumpet sound (the
David> fluidr3-gm one is very poor), the sound of violin section as
David> will as solo violin, string harmonics, timpani roll and so on.

You can remap any bank/instrument in Timidity to a particular patch.

In /etc/timidity.conf you can, say, improve the harpsichord by using
the Ross soundfont:

bank 0
  6 %font ross.sf2 1 2

to replace instrument 6 in bank 0 (harpsichord) with instrument 2 in
bank 1 of the ross.sf2 soundfont.

There are lots of soundfonts available from
http://www.personalcopy.com/

The Ross soundfont for harpsichord is from http://web.ncf.ca/bf250/my.html