The grace issue

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: The grace issue
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 10:55:10 +1000

I need to put the grace note in the top voice before the bar. I use
this technique throughout my score and it works fine:

\grace { \bar "" c'8 \bar "\" }

I am also aware of the notorious issue with grace notes where I have
to put spacer filler graces in all staves to make it all line up.
Although tedious, that workaround for the issue seen in the attached
image is acceptable.

But, in this case, with long notes in the other staves, I don't see
how I can get a spacer grace filler in the needed place.

Any suggestions?

May I ask with the most polite respect is there any chance that this
grace note issue will ever get resolved? Perhaps it's simply not
possible in lilypond for technical reasons? What makes this a
difficult problem?

Andrew