Re: The grace issue

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: The grace issue
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 21:09:52 +0200

Hi Andrew,

Am Sa., 15. Aug. 2020 um 18:46 Uhr schrieb Andrew Bernard
<andrew.bernard@gmail.com>:

> I need to put the grace note in the top voice before the bar. I use
> this technique throughout my score and it works fine:
>
> \grace { \bar "" c'8 \bar "\" }
>
> I am also aware of the notorious issue with grace notes where I have
> to put spacer filler graces in all staves to make it all line up.
> Although tedious, that workaround for the issue seen in the attached
> image is acceptable.
>
> But, in this case, with long notes in the other staves, I don't see
> how I can get a spacer grace filler in the needed place.
>
> Any suggestions?

I don't get the problem. The following works imho

\new StaffGroup
<<
  \new Staff {
       \grace { \bar "" gis''8 \bar "|" } c''1
       \grace { \bar "" gis''8 \bar "|" } c''1
       \grace { \bar "" gis''8 \bar "|" } c''1
  }
  \new Staff { c'1~ 1~ 1 }

Obviously I'm missing something...

> May I ask with the most polite respect is there any chance that this
> grace note issue will ever get resolved? Perhaps it's simply not
> possible in lilypond for technical reasons? What makes this a
> difficult problem?
>
> Andrew

Well, issue 34 is located deep, deep in LilyPond's heart and brain.
Up to now, nobody found a convincing fix.

Nevertheless, you may follow the link I gave here
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/34#note_339729636
and try it out. (Although it's limited to where issue 34 concerns repeats)

Cheers,
  Harm