Re: How to write chords of different durations?

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: How to write chords of different durations?
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 23:11:30 +0200

Kenneth Wolcott wrote:

the right hand of one particular measure has "bf2." and "d2 f8 bf"
(this is 3/4 time).

How to engrave this? Do I need distinct voices for this?

Yes.
These voices must be made to run simultaneously. Use << >> brackets.
That way, the durations in one voice don't interfere with the durations in the other voice.

This is shown in the Notation Reference
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#-Explicitly-instantiating-voices
but that example doesn't have any chords.

I've attached a snippet which combines single notes and chords in different situations.

Cheers,
Robin