Re: overriding voiceOne to add properties to that specific voice context

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: overriding voiceOne to add properties to that specific voice context
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 17:35:24 +0200

Maurits Lamers <maurits@weidestraat.nl> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> @David: No, I haven't attempted to run convert-ly and I am very
> hesitant to do so because I have no clue exactly where to start. That
> is because it is a songbook with over 1000 songs, with choir
> arrangments and organ parts for each of those songs, with many complex
> includes and external music definitions. Wilfried Berendsen should be
> very familiar with it, as IIRC he supervised its creation. He might
> know a way of upgrading it to a more recent Lilypond version.
>
> Also, the songbook is so 2.14 specific that I also cannot compile it
> using 2.18. So, my assumption is that trying to run convert-ly on this
> system will have a huge chance of breaking things. As it is the main
> source for my testing material at the moment, i rather not break it as
> I am dependent on it to work.

Computers have this wonderful facility called a "copy".

> I would definitely love to bring the entire system to the most recent
> version of Lilypond, or at least 2.18.2 (which is the version
> installed by default under Ubuntu 18.04LTS and all derivatives), but
> at the moment I think it could cause problems that would stand in the
> way of the main objective, which is a working music braille output for
> Lilypond.

You mean, a "working" music Braille output for an ancient historical
version of LilyPond that does not compile on current systems, likely
runs limited to 32bit, has much worse programming features and has no
useful online support by current users and programmers because everyone
has moved on.

To get anywhere useful except for a single-shot project, you'll not get
around upgrading, and upgrading may make getting anywhere useful easier.

Just saying.

--
David Kastrup