Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 18:11:44 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 26.08.2020, 10:08 +0200 schrieb Claire Meyer:
@ Fernando and Urs : Thanks for the additional explanations.

> What you didn't tell us is whether you include the systems by system or by pages.
> In the latter case all the page layout  is done by LilyPond  while in the former
> each system is cropped and included in the document as a paragraph.

I... hadn't even thought that it could impact, that's my bad. I include system by system :
\usepackage[nofragment, insert=systems]{lyluatex}
So the staffsize is computed by lyluatex, right ?

No.
The staffsize is *always* calculated by lyluatex if you don't set it explicitly.

The difference is in the page layout.
With insert=systems LilyPond uses
    \include "lilypond-book-preamble.ly"
which produces individual systems without any notion of page layout. The resulting systems are cropped and inserted in the text document one after another - which can in certain situations lead to the systems being cramped too close together (the opposite of your problem).

insert=fullpage OTOH lets LilyPond engrave the full score with all its page layout decisions and includes the pages as fullpage PDFs.

> 20 is the deafault for LilyPond. lyluatex calculates the default staffsize
> in relation to the effective text fontsize if you don't set it explicitly.

So this explains that. The font size of the document at the location of the score is 10 pt. I've tried giving a look at the lyluatex package documentation to see what staffsize 10 pt in latex produces, but it doesn't say (I'm just curious on this one, but I can live without that knowledge).

It doesn't say in the manual. IISC the default staffsize is calculated here: https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex/blob/master/lyluatex.lua#L118-L120, and I suspect the actual value has been determined by trial and error to produce a good-looking default.
Git blame points to me for this line, but that wasn't the actual implementation but only some refactoring regarding moving code to external libraries.

HTH
Urs

@Jacques :

> I use Linux too, and so any hint is welcome!

On linux :
1) I make sure I have the texlive-core package along with the texlive-music, texlive-latexextra and texlive-fontsextra packages installed (I'm not sure which ones are strictly necessary, but I have the room for it and the usage is bound to happen eventually, so)
2) I make sure I have the lyluatex-git package installed
3) as Samuel has said before, I also make sure I use LuaLaTex with the shell-escape option. Since I use texstudio, my exact command is lualatex --shell-escape % | txs:///view-pdf-internal --embedded, but lualatex --shell-escape % is enough.
4) I have also to pay attention to the local, so I open texstudio from the terminal with LC_ALL=C texstudio, because my local is a clusterfuck, because I want the dates to be displayed the japanese way, my language to be english, and some regional settings according to my living situation, so if you have weird regional settings on your linux install, pay attention to that as well.

If you have followed steps 1 to 3, you should be able to have a my_tex_document.tex that would look like :
\documentclass[]{article}
\usepackage[nofragment, insert=systems]{lyluatex}

\begin{document}

\lilypondfile[]{your_score.ly}

\end{document}

And compile it using LC_ALL=C lualatex --shell-escape my_tex_document.tex via the terminal (in the correct directory). If that works (with correct namefile and a valid lilypond file), then you're good to go and your install is correct. I may have forgotten something (but obviously, if that's the case, I don't know what).

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 10:33 PM Fr. Samuel Springuel <rpspringuel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 Aug, 2020, at 3:20 PM, Jacques Menu <imj-muzhic@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I’m using Mac TexLive 2020 with all updates.
> TeXShop proposes only Lilypond and Lilypond-LaTeX as reasonable-looking engines.

Neither of these are correct for use with lyluatex.

> \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
>
> \usepackage{lyluatex}
>
> % -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> \begin{document}
> % -------------------------------------------------------------------------

> \begin{lilypond}
> \version "2.20.0"
>
> music = \relative {
>       c d e
> }
>
> \score {
>       \new ChoirStaff \with {
>     instrumentName = "2 Fl."
>       }
>       <<
>               \new Staff {
>                       \transpose c c' \music
>               }
>               \new Staff {
>                       \clef bass
>                       \music
>               }
>       >>
> }
> \end{lilypond}
>
> % -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> \end{document}
> % -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> leads to:

For a document like this you need to use a LuaLaTeX engine which has the `--shell-escape` option enabled.  TeXShop does not ship with such an engine (not even in the “Inactive” folder).  You will need to add it yourself.  You can do this yourself, but the Gregorio project makes such engines available along with a script that will install them for you: https://github.com/gregorio-project/gregorio/tree/master/contrib/TeXShop

Download both engine files and the auto-configure.command script to the same folder and then run the script by double clicking on it in the Finder.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE