Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 10:15:18 -0500

On Tue 25 Aug 2020 at 18:30:47 (+0200), Claire Meyer wrote:
> @Gilles Sadowski :
> Thanks, it works! Interestingly, though, I had to iterate down to 16,
> because 19, 18, 17 *and 20* produce bigger outputs than default. They all
> produce 5 pages. And yet, *20 is the default*. If anyone can explain, I'd
> be more than happy (I imagine it's an interaction with lyluatex).

> @David Wright :
> ragged-last-bottom = ##f only works for the last system of the score, not
> the last system of the page, so it doesn't do what I was looking for, but
> thank you very much.

Fair enough: I hadn't realised that you were including the music
system by system in a larger document, and thought that the pagination
was LilyPond's, not LuaLaTeX's.

So if the next section of the document started at the top of the page 5,
how would one tell LuaLaTeX to fill page 4 and produce a balanced appearance?
That would be assuming that one wanted a four-page score, generously
laid out, rather than leaving a half-page blank space; not necessarily
what you're after, I realise.

(I'm not used to this problem: my normal workflow is to generate
cropped PDFs using LP, and then insert these PDFs into the text by
means of \includegraphics commands in plain old LuaLaTeX.)

> > Le 25 août 2020 à 17:37, David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> a écrit :
> > > Would adding (or merging)
> > >
> > > \paper {
> > >  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
> > > }
> > >
> > > produce a satisfactory layout over four pages for you?
> > >
> > > If you squeeze a fourth system onto page 3, you're left with
> > > two systems on page 4. To set the piece over three pages, you'd
> > > need to shrink the score to 11 systems, which is rather a lot.

Cheers,
David.