Re: Moving glissando ends

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Moving glissando ends
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 19:32:32 +0100

On Wed, 2020-08-26 at 21:34 +0100, David Sumbler wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-08-26 at 19:51 +0200, Toine Schreurs wrote:
> > > I want each line to go to the centre of the invisible notehead,
> > > so
> > > that
> > > I get a continuous line.  Of course, the first and last lines
> > > only
> > > want
> > > to be full-length at one end, because there is an actual notehead
> > > at
> > > the other.
> > >
> > > How can I achieve this?
> >
> > for the first line:
> >   \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = #-1
> >
> > for the intermediate lines:
> >   \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = #-1
> >   \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = #-1
> >
> > for the last line:
> >   \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = #-1
> >
> > You did not give an example, so this is not tested.
> >
> > Toine Schreurs
>
> Thank you very much for that solution.
>
> In fact, I found that setting these parameters to -1 still leaves a
> small gap between successive lines.  The best value seems to be -1.4,
> for some strange reason.
>
> David

Further to the above - and in case anyone else is trying to produce
joined up glissando lines - I eventually realized that the default for
a glissando line is to point to the nearest side of the relevant
notehead, not the centre.  The parameter attach-dir is respectively 1
and -1 for the left and right ends of the glissando.  Clearly what I
want is for them to point to the note's centre, with attach-dir set to
zero.

As there are quite a number of these glissando sweeps in the work in
question, I defined the following variables to make the job easier.

glissJoinR = {
  \override Glissando.bound-details.right.attach-dir = #0
  \override Glissando.bound-details.right.padding = #0 }
glissJoinL = {
  \override Glissando.bound-details.left.attach-dir = #0
  \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = #0 }
glissRevertR = {
  \revert Glissando.bound-details.right.attach-dir
  \revert Glissando.bound-details.right.padding }
glissRevertL = {
  \revert Glissando.bound-details.left.attach-dir
  \revert Glissando.bound-details.left.padding }

David