Re: macro for \once\override

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: macro for \once\override
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 22:27:49 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> Folks,
>

> I wonder whether there is a possibility to have a working equivalent
>
>   oo = \once\override
>
> so that I can say
>
>   \oo foo.bar = #'baz   .
>
> It should work with LilyPond 2.18, BTW.
>
> A quick search in the internet didn't bring something relevant.

No, and not in 2.20 either.  The best you can aim for is

\oo foo.bar #'baz

(which is similar to \tweak syntax) but the equals sign is a syntactic
entity that you cannot sensibly hoover up in a music function.  And if
you do something appalling, like letting oo inject "\\once \\override "
into the input stream, it's very likely that it will break down in more
complex uses than when just writing it into immediate code.

--
David Kastrup