Re: FretBoards require X11 color names

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: FretBoards require X11 color names
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 01:16:19 +0100

Am Mi., 4. Nov. 2020 um 23:53 Uhr schrieb Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com>:

> Possibly silly question, but why are colors forced to be X11 in fret
> diagrams?
>
> When you recolor a NoteHead for instance, you just use the literal color
> value:
>
> %%%%
> \version "2.20.0"
> {
>    \tweak color #'red             b'4 % symbol is invalid, defaults to
> black
>    \tweak color #red              b'4 % color value stored in variable
>    \tweak color #'(0.9 0.5 0.2)   b'4 % custom color as an RGB list
>    \tweak color #(x11-color 'tan) b'4 % looking up X11 color
> }
> %%%%
>
> You cannot do this with fret diagrams, as the internal logic assumes
> colors are X11 names only.
>
> Not being able to specify a literal color feels inconsistent and
> arbitrarily restrictive.
>

> -- Aaron Hill

Well, in general overrides/tweaks it's possible:

\new FretBoards {
  \override FretBoard.color = #red
  \tweak color #'(0.9 0.5 0.2)
  bes
}

In a verbose fret diagram like
\markup \fret-diagram-verbose #'((place-fret 3 3 3 blue))
you would need to quasiquote/unquote like
\markup \fret-diagram-verbose #`((place-fret 3 3 3 ,blue))

At the time I implemented dot colors I intended to not confuse users
with this syntax.
Probably I should rethink ...

Cheers,
  Harm