Re: Getting back the dynamically coloured freboard dots on L2.20

From: Viktor Mastoridis
Subject: Re: Getting back the dynamically coloured freboard dots on L2.20
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 07:47:56 +0000

Dear Harm, Carl et al.,

Most of what you discussed went over my head, and I have no idea how patches work:-)

I understood and tried the hack from Harm:
\override FretBoards.FretBoard.before-line-breaking =
        #(lambda (grob)
          (ly:grob-set-nested-property! grob '(fret-diagram-details dot-color)
          (color-dot grob)))

It worlds like a charm. I'm more than happy to use it until the patch makes it to an official release.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you developers.
Not only for this help, but for all the amazing work you do developing such a beautiful program for notation such as Lilypond.

I am a primary school music teacher, so the ability to add colours and other tweaks made it possible to bring music notation to very young children. It makes music much more accessible and much less frightening.

It's just one of the ways your work 'behind the scenes' is like a blessing for us on the 'frontline'.
---
Viktor🎼Mastoridis

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 21:51, Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> wrote:
Am Mi., 4. Nov. 2020 um 01:20 Uhr schrieb Thomas Morley
<thomasmorley65@gmail.com>:

> Am Di., 3. Nov. 2020 um 23:36 Uhr schrieb Carl Sorensen
> <carl.d.sorensen@gmail.com>:
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 3:18 PM Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Well, so it's my own patch...
> >> The patch introduces many nice features, among them coloring dots.
> >> Alas, one cannot access the grob-color (if it is the return-value of a
> >> procedure) in a reasonable way to use it as a fallback if dot-color is
> >> unset. I have to think about it...
> >

> > Could one use the property FretBoard.color if dot-color were not set?  I think the FretBoard.color is accessible from Scheme...
> >
> > Carl
> >
> Well, yes and no. Consider:
>
> \new FretBoards {
>   \once \override FretBoard.fret-diagram-details.dot-color = #'cyan
>   \once \override FretBoard.fret-diagram-details.dot-color =
>     #(lambda (grob) 'red)
>   bes
> }
>
> I can access the value of the first override from inside
> `make-fret-diagram` , ok.
>
> The second override does not work and I currently don't know why not.
> I can access the value of this override from inside make-fret-diagram as well.
> Though, it's the procedure not it's return value.
>
> Cheers,
>   Harm

Patch is up:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/497