Re: A comment about the documentation

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: A comment about the documentation
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 20:35:54 +0000

This should be quite straightforward.

Clone the repository from GitLab.

Make your own branch.

Search for the DOCME strings.

Edit some set of the files.

Make sure that LilyPond still builds.  And that make doc succeeds.

Push a merge request to GitLab.

Wait for the review process.

Merge the merge request.

The biggest problem will be that you are using a Mac, IIRC.  And that means you
will need to build on the Mac.  I do it with a VM.  I have not had good success
(nor have I tried very hard) with Docker containers.

Perhaps Hans can help you do the build using MacPorts.

I'm happy to answer any questions I can, although I'm probably not very useful
at it right now.

Thanks,

Carl

On 1/1/21, 1:07 PM, "Kieren MacMillan" <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    Hi all,

    > ...well, if at anytime someone wants to help out and give something back
to Lilypond: there are 583 instances of "DOCME" in the result of that script.
Looks like an extensive list of "simple" and well packaged tasks if one wants
to give a try at participating.

    Anyone (Carl? David?) interested in, and available to, mentor me through
whatever setup/process is required to contribute to the documentation? I’m
assuming once that’s done, and I’m contributing documentation patches without
requiring hand-holding, “levelling up” to contributing “real code” would be
pretty trivial.

    Thanks,
    Kieren.

    Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)