Re: Why does -dbackend=svg -dcrop remove system-system-spacing?

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Why does -dbackend=svg -dcrop remove system-system-spacing?
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 22:30:39 -0600

On Tue 05 Jan 2021 at 19:05:30 (-0500), Trevor Bača wrote:
> I love the functionality for cropped SVGs! (Added back in 2019, or around
> then?)
>
> Question: it appears that cropped multisystem SVGs remove all whitespace
> between systems. Is this supposed to happen?

I think that removing all the margins is the functionality "crop" is
supposed to add to LP. To generate the equivalent cropped and packed
image without this facility would be quite tedious to do (unless
someone has a trick for doing it?).

> %%% BEGIN %%%
> […]
> %%% END %%%
>
> Called with ...
>    lilypond -dbackend=svg -dcrop test.ly
> ... produces test.cropped.svg as attached here.
>
> Screenshot:
> […]
>
> Seems like cropping should be around the edges of the image (rather than
> between systems)?

If you just want to crop the whole page image, you can do that easily
at the end of a normal run with the usual utilities. If you require
LP to set the entire score on a single page, just use a very long
custom page (as in NR §4.1.2: width, then length).

Cheers,
David.