Re: Why does -dbackend=svg -dcrop remove system-system-spacing?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Why does -dbackend=svg -dcrop remove system-system-spacing?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 23:49:33 +0100 (CET)

>> For me, it's a bug, mainly because the behaviour is completely
>> unexpected.  Also, `-dhelp` says
>>
>>   crop (#f)                Match the size of the normal output to the
>>                            typeset image.
>>
>> which differs from the reality.  Note the words 'normal output'.
>> Removing inter-line spacing between staves is definitely not normal
>> output.
>
> I'd missed that. I only looked at the Usage manual:
>
>   crop bool    If bool is #t, fit all the music and headers, without
>                margins, into a ‘single-page’ output file. Default: #f.

Well, it's a buglet by itself that this info differs from what
`-dhelp` gives.  It essentially says that the music gets output to a
single page that can become arbitrarily long.  Again, there is zero
reason to remove the vertical inter-staff space.

BTW, the documentation misses to mention that a PNG image gets created
in addition to a PDF.  It's also missing that the cropped PDF file and
its PNG rendering output have the suffixes `.cropped.pdf` and
`.cropped.png` by default, respectively, and that those files are
created in addition to a normal PDF output file.  See MR !605 for a
fix.

> So I certainly agree that it needs clarification as to whether
> "music" means *systems* or *made-up pages*.

I don't understand what you want to say.  Please clarify.

    Werner