Re: Tempo marking per staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Tempo marking per staff
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 09:42:12 -0500

Hi there,

> How do I place tempo marks above a particular staff rather than a system as a
> whole, please?
>
> I have parts that speed up during an ensemble piece for a few measures, and
> would like to see the tempo mark above the staff for that part rather than
> above the system as is conventional.

You really have two main options here:

1. Add the tempo mark as a markup (TextScript) rather than true tempo marking
(MetronomeMark). That way, it’s guaranteed just to appear above that one staff.
[I don’t personally like this option, because it misuses TextScript.]

2. Add all tempo marks in a single global variable, and include them above the
system *and* above the particular staff in question; then use the \tag system
to include that one MetronomeMark just above the single staff. [I recommend and
would use this option, because then all tempo marks in your score are real
MetronomeMarks.]

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)