Re: Solution "Midi Through Port-0"?

From: Silvain Dupertuis
Subject: Re: Solution "Midi Through Port-0"?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 20:24:50 +0100

Curious.

I am on Ubuntu (18.04 on my main machine) and use Frescobaldi
Midi output works fine for me.
I did not play with settings so far...
For midi ports, I have
Output reader = TiMidity port 0
Entry port = Midi Through Port-0

The only thing : If I just press the button
(whatever it is called in English, in French, it says "graver")
it does not save ouput. I have to save the Lilypond file also to get PDF and midi output.

What is happning in your case?
No output or what?

Normally, ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) should be installed
and taking care of the sound on the system.

You can check on the command line (copy from my systm).
alsa
=> Usage: /sbin/alsa {unload|reload|force-unload|force-reload|suspend|resume}

or, to see where the software is installed
which alsa
=> /sbin/alsa

But I no not think Lilypond needs it to build a midi file.
You might need it to open you midi file and listen to the sound...