Re: Enharmonically override key signature

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Enharmonically override key signature
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 22:08:24 +0200

Hello,

Le 30/03/2021 à 03:33, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :
Hi Craig,

That worked for my over-simplified MWE. But here's my real-world problem with
multiple key changes. There are only some that need to be over-ridden
enharmonically. See bar 2 of the Alto Sax where I'd like to override this key
signature without changing the whole global setup. Is this possible?

I have to say that in 99.99% of cases, "Is this
possible?" is a rhetorical question in LilyPond.

If it is, I can’t wait to see the solution… As the composer and arranger of
musical theatre and other multi-instrumentalist music, Lilypond’s awkward
handling of key signatures and transposition is a long-time thorn in my side.

David K once devised a rather brilliant almost-solution (cf.
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/quot-smart-quot-transposition-of-key-signatures-td151940.html>),
 but it wasn’t able to handle the high abstraction of my Lilypond code. There was a
suggestion that an “enharmonize-engraver” might solve the problem, but I don’t think
anyone tackled that.

Something like the attached? While admittedly ugly and
in need for more testing, it should provide
a start. I would be curious of better approaches
others may think of.

There is a big drawback: \relative changes behavior
in the naturalized version. I haven't investigated
how to fix it yet.

Regards,
Jean