where (if anywhere) does lilypond look for locally shared files?

From: stefano franchi
Subject: where (if anywhere) does lilypond look for locally shared files?
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 15:45:26 -0500

Where am I supposed to store my templates, functions, snippets, etc?

Otherwise put, in  (La)TeX terms is there a lilypond equivalent of ~/texmf ?

On linux, there seems to be no equivalents, at least as far as I can tell. It thought
~/.local/share/lilypond would be it, but it is not created at installation time. Is there an environment variable that could be set? The docs make reference to LILYPOND_DATADIR, but that seems to indicate the global location, as far as I can tell from the following description:

LILYPOND_DATADIR

This specifies a directory where locale messages and data files are looked up by default, overriding locations defined either at compile-time or computed dynamically at run-time (see Relocation). The directory should contain subdirectories called ‘ly’, ‘ps’, ‘tex’, etc.

Or is "locale" a typo for "local"?

I'm confused
Stefano Franchi

stefano.franchi@gmail.com