Re: ChordNames: differentiating between 7sus4 and m7sus4

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: ChordNames: differentiating between 7sus4 and m7sus4
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 19:12:16 +0000

On 4/27/21, 10:07 AM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Kieren MacMillan"
<lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    Hi all,

    I’m trying to have Lilypond differentiate between a 7sus4 chord and a
m7sus4 chord. I know that they’re the same theoretically… but in context, I
believe the difference is meaningful enough to have both symbols available to
use.

    This is the way I’m currently accomplishing it:

    %%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
    \version "2.21.2"
    \language "english"

    customChordExceptions = {
        <c f g bf>-\markup { \hspace #0.2 "7(sus4)" }
        <c g bf f'>-\markup { \hspace #0.2 "m7(sus4)" }
    }

    newChordExceptionList = #(append
        (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions customChordExceptions #t)
        ignatzekExceptions)

    \layout {
      \context {
        \Score
        chordNameExceptions = #newChordExceptionList

    { \new ChordNames \chordmode { c1:7sus4 c1:m7sus4 <c f g bf>1 <c g bf f'>1
} }
    %%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

    As you can see, only the explicit "octave-displaced" version triggers the
desired symbol. Is there a better way of doing what I want?

Darn!  Too bad we never got the chord semantics GSoC work into LilyPond.  That
would make it trivial, because you'd have the semantics put in with the chord
entry, I think.

Carl