ChordNames: differentiating between 7sus4 and m7sus4

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: ChordNames: differentiating between 7sus4 and m7sus4
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 12:02:23 -0400

Hi all,

I’m trying to have Lilypond differentiate between a 7sus4 chord and a m7sus4
chord. I know that they’re the same theoretically… but in context, I believe
the difference is meaningful enough to have both symbols available to use.

This is the way I’m currently accomplishing it:

%%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.21.2"
\language "english"

customChordExceptions = {
    <c f g bf>-\markup { \hspace #0.2 "7(sus4)" }
    <c g bf f'>-\markup { \hspace #0.2 "m7(sus4)" }
}

newChordExceptionList = #(append
    (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions customChordExceptions #t)
    ignatzekExceptions)

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    chordNameExceptions = #newChordExceptionList

{ \new ChordNames \chordmode { c1:7sus4 c1:m7sus4 <c f g bf>1 <c g bf f'>1 } }
%%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

As you can see, only the explicit "octave-displaced" version triggers the
desired symbol. Is there a better way of doing what I want?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info