Re: Behaviour of systemStartDelimiter

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Behaviour of systemStartDelimiter
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:28:11 +0200

Le 30/04/2021 à 20:45, Timothy Lanfear a écrit :

I would like a StaffGroup without any systemStartDelimiter -- staves grouped inside simultaneous music will not do because I would like a \with clause to modify the context plugins. Unsetting the systemStartDelimiter does the trick

\new StaffGroup \with { \unset systemStartDelimiter } <<
  \new Staff { c''1 }
  \new Staff { c''1 }

... but not when when nested inside another StaffGroup

\new StaffGroup <<
  \new Staff { c''1 }
  \new StaffGroup \with { \unset systemStartDelimiter } <<
    \new Staff { c''1 }
    \new Staff { c''1 }

Removing the System_start_delimiter_engraver solves the issue, but maybe there is something to improve here.

\new StaffGroup <<
  \new Staff { c''1 }
  \new StaffGroup \with { \remove System_start_delimiter_engraver } <<
    \new Staff { c''1 }
    \new Staff { c''1 }

Hi,

\unset is not really the right tool when
you have not done a \set before.
\omit SystemStartBracket would do the job. However,
removing the engraver as you are doing is really
the nicest solution in my opinion. It causes no grob
to be created at all, instead of merely removing
a grob's stencil, with the grob still potentially
taking space or having other effects.

Best,
Jean