Re: Different TeX Gyre Schola fonts (Mac/Win)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Different TeX Gyre Schola fonts (Mac/Win)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:04:39 +0000 (UTC)

> I’ve got an issue with Mac/Win TeX Gyre Schola font versions when engraving
> arrows in LilyPond 2.22.1.
>
> The vertical arrows seem to be similar, but the oblique ones are different.
> Here is the Mac OS version:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XDkgUUR3l5cjMLJElrjsE5J7ekT9uGjB/view?usp=sharing
> And the Windows 10 version:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wljji_SDEmCpIhSQLbx1cRQHrqfBj317/view?usp=sharing
>

> I make them with the code:
> \markup { \char ##x2197 }
> \markup { \char ##x2198 }
>
> The font settings in the \paper section are the following:
> #(define fonts
>
>    (make-pango-font-tree "TeX Gyre Schola"
>                          "LilyPond Sans Serif"
>                          "LilyPond Monospace"
>                          (/ staff-height pt 20)))
>
> I want the Windows version to look the same as the Mac version.
> Could anyone help me?

The two characters U+2197 and U+2198 are not in TeX Gyre Schola.  This
means that LilyPond (via FontConfig) looks up the available fonts of
your OS to find another font that has them.  Obviously it finds
different fallback fonts on the two platforms, which is not
surprising.

A solution is obvious: Find a font that contains these two characters,
install them on both computers, and modify your markup command so that
this font gets explicitly used.

    Werner