Re: Percussion staff problems

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Percussion staff problems
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 20:40:47 +0200

Am Fr., 3. Sept. 2021 um 20:24 Uhr schrieb Gordon Bower <grb@taigabridge.net>:

> I am having two issues with a custom unpitched-percussion staff in a score.
>
> Item 1: \RemoveEmptyStaves does not remove the percussion staff even though
> it suppresses other staves correctly. (I had the same problem with a
> non-customized DrumStaff or RhythmStaff when I tried that earlier.)
>
> This feels like a bug to me.

Nope.
Your \layout with
\context { \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves }
works as expected, but you want to remove _DrumStaff_, add.
\context { \DrumStaff \RemoveEmptyStaves }

> Looking at the internals PDF, there is probably a one-line fix for this,
> where one symbol (the percussion clef maybe?) is in the keepAliveInterfaces
> list but should not be.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I need to insert?
>
> Item 2: I can't use a variable to insert the percussion music like I can
> everything else.
> When I build my score,
> << \drummode {tri4 cymc4 tt4} >> works fine.
>
> But  << \perc >> , after having previously set  perc = {\drummode { tri4
> cymc4 tt4  R2.} }, fails with the error "warning: Ignoring non-music
> expression {\perc}"
> Tried several variations, with and without extra braces, etc.
>
> I assume this one is operator error (<<>> or {} in the wrong place, \drummode
> in the wrong place, something...) but it has me confused.

Your
    #(define perc '(
                     (triangle default #f 2)
                     (cymbals default #f 0)
                     (tamtam default #f -2)
                     ))
redefines
perc = {\drummode { tri4 cymc4 tt4  R2.} }

Use different identifiers.

> Attached is an example of the problem score.
>
> Thank you!
>
> GRB

HTH,
  Harm