Re: Midi file is quiet???

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: Midi file is quiet???
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 14:49:20 -0700

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 1:56 PM <tim@risingdove.com> wrote:

> I have an engraving of a Vivaldi piece that has a ChoirStaff with three
> staffs within it, then a
> separate staff, then a PianoStaff with the normal two parts. The last two
> lines in the \score
> block are:
>
>   \layout {}
>   \midi {\tempo 4 = 70 }
>
> Then a curly brace to end the \score block, and the file ends.
>
> The PDF looks absolutely beautiful;, no problem there. But the midi file is
> completely quiet,
> from beginning to end. What would cause that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> tim@risingdove.com

What version of LilyPond are you using? What environment are you on
(like Windows 10, Linux, Mac)?  How are you playing the midi file?
Try playing it with another application, like if you're playing it
from Frescobaldi, try right-clicking the midi file in a file explorer
and see if there are other apps associated with it.  If you're using
Frescobaldi, do other Midi files play?  Do you have Midi setup in the
preferences?