Re: eps file

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: eps file
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 14:34:52 -0700

--
Knute Snortum

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 12:02 PM Valentin Petzel <valentin@petzel.at> wrote:

> Hello Ming,
>
> According to the error message: Are you sure your epsfile is in that path?
>
> If analyzed your eps-file and have found that it has some very weird bytes in
> the beginning (also containing some null-chars). This makes rendering the file
> a bit of a gamble, and it also means that Lilypond does not find any
> information in this file (as it stops at the first null char).
>
> So all these list-ref issues actually come from a malformed eps file. The eps
> file also has 5000 lines of junk in the end, which does not affect Lilypond,
> as Lilypond does not read further that the null char starting that stuff.
>
> I’ve fixed up the file (it now has less than half of its original size).
>
> To summarize:
> We’ve encounterd three kinds of issues:
> → The (ice-9 format)-issue, which happens if you use \ instead of / or \\
> → The "cannot find file”-issue, which happens because Lilypond cannot find
> your file, either because it is a relative path in an unsaved document, or
> because the file does not exist, or because you do not have read access or
> something
> → The list-ref/Wrong type argument issue that happes due to the bad eps file.
>
> So far we have resolved two of these issues, so it remains to solve the
> „cannot find file”-issue.
>
> Cheers,
> Valentin

I tried this on my Window 10 machine:

%%%
\version "2.23.3"
\markup {
  \general-align #Y #DOWN {
    \epsfile #X #20 #"C:/Users/***/Downloads/new_pepsi_logo.eps"
%%%

The logo displayed but I got this error:

Starting lilypond.exe 2.23.3 [eps-file-test.ly]...
Processing `C:/Users/***/Documents/LilyPond/Snippets/eps-file-test.ly'
Parsing...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Converting to `eps-file-test.pdf'...
warning: `(gs -q -dNODISPLAY -dNOSAFER -dALLOWPSTRANSPARENCY -dNOPAUSE
-dBATCH -dAutoRotatePages=/None -dPrinted=false ./tmp--tmp-5733337)'
failed (1)

fatal error: failed files:
"C:/Users/***/Documents/LilyPond/Snippets/eps-file-test.ly"
Exited with return code 1.