Re: Misunderstanding \footnote

From: Kevin Cole
Subject: Re: Misunderstanding \footnote
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 06:58:53 -0400

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 6:12 AM Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> wrote:
>> On 8 Sep 2021, at 03:33, Kevin Cole <dc.loco@gmail.com> wrote:
>>     \footnote "*" \concat {
>>       "* This song has been translated by the leading Irish,"
>>       " Scotch Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Breton, and Cornish poets"
>>       " into their native languages for singing in each Celtic"
>>       " country and at Pan-Celtic Festivals."

And though not related to footnotes, you should avoid \concatenating
strings because it will result in single line of text.  Granted, if your
font size is small compared to the paper size, it is possible all that
text could fit within the page margins.  In general, though, you should
consider using \wordwrap or \wordwrap-string:

%%%%
\markup \override #'(line-width . 40)
\left-column {
   \bold \typewriter "\\wordwrap"
   \wordwrap {
   * This song has been translated by the leading Irish,
     Scotch Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Breton, and Cornish poets
     into their native languages for singing in each Celtic
     country and at Pan-Celtic Festivals.
   }
   \vspace #1 \draw-hline
   \bold \typewriter "\\wordwrap-string"
   \wordwrap-string
   #"* This song has been translated by the leading Irish,
       Scotch Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Breton, and Cornish poets
       into their native languages for singing in each Celtic
       country and at Pan-Celtic Festivals."
}
%%%%

Thanks. \wordwrap (or \wordwrap-string) is actually what I wanted to achieve -- albeit as a footnote to a title. I just find that searching the manual often turns up the most obtuse results first, and I saw an example of something else that used \concat, and made an uneducated guess as to how it worked.

For my purposes, I have another, less-satisfactory way to get a footnote-like effect: I'm blending LilyPond and reStructuredText a la Sphinx with the sphinxnotes-lilypond package. So, I'll just move the footnote to the .rst document. But a guy can hope. 😉