Re: Concert pitch question (confused ex-tuba player)

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Concert pitch question (confused ex-tuba player)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 07:47:44 +0200

Hi Jerry,

Am 18.09.21 um 00:22 schrieb JxStarks:
Hi Kenneth,
 I use LilyPond v 2.22.1 through Frescobaldi. When I'm dealing with transposing instruments I arrange everything in C, then transpose the parts. I would write a trumpet part like this:

trumpet = \transpose c bes {
   \global
   notes, etc,

This way I can insert a % to comment out the transposition when I want Lilypond's MIDI to play it for me:
trumpet = %\transpose c bes {
   \global
   notes, etc,
  %}
}
 When printing the parts, I remove the % signs, and they print out in the transposed key.

I think that's wrong in multiple ways.

First: "c" and "bes" are from the same octave, so they are a 7th apart. This is not the usual transposition of a Bb trumpet: It should be c' and bes, for example.

Second: Your description sounds as if "notes" are meant "in C" (concert pitch, "sounding") (because you do not want \transpose for MIDI generation). Then your transposition goes in the wrong direction: If \mus contains concert pitch music, it has to be printed by

\transpose bes c' \mus

or equivalently

\transpose c d \mus

in order to be played correctly by a player using a Bb trumpet, as explained by various people in this thread. (For a written "d", a Bb trumpet gives a "physical" "c"; so in order to get a "c", one has to write a "d", and so forth.)

Lukas