Re: Font

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Font
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 08:09:34 -0700

On 2021-09-23 4:34 am, Carlos Martinez wrote:
I am trying to figure out if it is possible to use the font IM FELL
ENGLISH PRO in lilypond. I needed for a title.

When using this \override #'(font-family . Font name?)
I cannot find what is the name of the font….
Where do I find it so I can enter it?

font-family refers to 'roman, 'sans, or 'typewriter, which are the fonts specified as part of the font tree. You can technically define your own custom font family in addition to the standard three, but you only need to do this if you are using a font in many places and want to ensure consistency. Otherwise, one-off font changes are best done specifying the font-name directly:

%%%%
\version "2.22.0"

\markup \left-column {
  \override #'(font-name . "IM FELL English")
  "IM FELL English, Regular"
  \override #'(font-name . "IM FELL English, Italic")
  "IM FELL English, Italic"
  \override #'(font-name . "IM FELL English SC")
  "IM FELL English SC"

  \override #'(font-name . "IM FELL French Canon")
  "IM FELL French Canon, Regular"
  \override #'(font-name . "IM FELL French Canon, Italic")
  "IM FELL French Canon, Italic"
  \override #'(font-name . "IM FELL French Canon SC")
  "IM FELL French Canon SC"

  \override #'(font-name . "IM FELL Great Primer")
  "IM FELL Great Primer, Regular"
  \override #'(font-name . "IM FELL Great Primer, Italic")
  "IM FELL Great Primer, Italic"
  \override #'(font-name . "IM FELL Great Primer SC")
  "IM FELL Great Primer SC"
}
%%%%

To your other question, the command-line option -dshow-available-fonts (see the usage documentation for details) will output all of the fonts LilyPond can see.

-- Aaron Hill