Re: --bigpdf

From: Erik Ronström
Subject: Re: --bigpdf
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:58:52 +0200

I finally got it working!

For future reference, the problem was that I could not make ghostscript use the
exported font files from lilypond. I got it working by symlinking from one of
the hardcoded font search paths (/usr/local/share/ghostscript) into the font
export directory.

Also I use pdfcrop in my chain and for the files produced with
--pspdfopt=TeX-GS, pdfcrop doesn’t work correctly. pdfcrop uses gs with
-sDEVICE=bbox to get the bounding box of the pdf but it runs gs with -dSAFER
which prevents gs from loading the exported font files. I suspect it is because
they are not the actual font files but only wrappers linking to the real font
files.

The only way I could resolve that was to either patch pdfcrop to remove -dSAFER
or to ”manually” point gs to the actual font files by placing their path in the
environment before calling pdfcrop:

GS_FONTPATH=/Library/Fonts/:/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/
 pdfcrop myscore.pdf

If anyone has a cleaner solution I would be glad to hear about it!

Erik