Beams over rests

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Beams over rests
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 10:05:07 +0100

The composer I'm working on is very fond of having beams over rests -
and indeed it helps a lot in reading his more complex rhythms.  However,
LilyPond is treating rests differently from notes, in that beam
positions are adjusted to suit the notes, whereas rests are then
adjusted to suit the beams.  So I get this kind of layout:
However, the publisher wants rests to remain in their standard position,
like this:

with occasional compromises to this extent:

I can obviously force this in individual cases, but again, is there a
global adjustment I can make to get nearer to what I'm being asked for?

Thanks,
Paul

JPEG image

JPEG image