Re: Delay for list posts to arrive

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Delay for list posts to arrive
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 16:31:20 -0800

On 2022-02-01 2:50 pm, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Lately I've found myself a couple times duplicating answers
already provided on this list by others up to almost three
hours earlier because I had not received these replies yet.
Now the little delay for posts to get in inboxes is a quirk
inherent to mailing lists, but three hours seems a bit much.
I'm wondering: are others experiencing this as well?

Yes.  Though it is inconsistent.

Check the timestamps in the email headers.  This tends to be what I see:

- Original sender's mail goes from their server to the eggs.gnu.org (the spam filter, IIUC).
- eggs.gnu.org processes the mail and hands it off to lists.gnu.org.
- The email goes from "localhost" (?) to lists.gnu.org. [This is where the delay usually happens.]
- My mail server gets the email from lists.gnu.org.

-- Aaron Hill