Re: Engraving chords with the same note twice, but different accidentals

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: Engraving chords with the same note twice, but different accidentals
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 10:04:31 -0800

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 9:32 AM Leo Correia de Verdier
<leo.correia.de.verdier@gmail.com> wrote:

> I differ on that. For me, (and with the perspective of only this measure)
> both the option of respelling the a flat in only that chord (looks like the
> repeated a flat moves) and respelling the a flats in the whole measure (and
> having to read the second between a flat and b flat as a diminished third)
> are more awkward than reading the augmented unison. I slightly prefer the
> notation with both heads on the same stem, but find them both quite readable.
>
> 3 feb. 2022 kl. 18:13 skrev David M. Boothe, CAS <david.boothe50@gmail.com>:
>

> I also would prefer to see a G#. However between the two examples, I think
> the first is slightly more readable.
>
> That said, what are the subsequent A's supposed to be - flat or natural? As
> written, I would play them as naturals in the first example, but flats in the
> second example. Were I engraving this, I would put an explicit accidental,
> whether flat or natural on the fourth A, as well.
>

> dB
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022, 11:51 AM Kieren MacMillan
> <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> > Speaking as a keyboard player (and lilypond novice) I would recommend
>> > re-spelling the a flat as a g sharp! Sometimes, theory has to take a
>> > backseat to readability.
>>
>> If theoretical correctness (or, say, accuracy to a previous source) isn't a
>> requirement, then I agree with Charlie: this is a moment in which, as a
>> keyboard player, I'd much rather see two different notes [by pitch name].
>>
>> Otherwise, I'd say the split-stem convention is [perhaps
>> counterintuitively?!] more readable for me. If you want to do this in
>> Lilypond, I'm pretty sure Harm has solved this particular issue (see e.g.,
>> https://archiv.lilypondforum.de/index.php/topic,1176.msg6932.html#msg6932).

Ok, the first attachment is using Harm's splayed stem chord function.
Better?  Worse?

Respelling the chord using a "gs" for the "af" is a possibility, but
what about respelling the "a" as a "bff"?  The second attachment shows
how that would look.

--
Knute Snortum