Re: Engraving chords with the same note twice, but different accidentals

From: Kira Garvie
Subject: Re: Engraving chords with the same note twice, but different accidentals
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 14:26:57 -0500

I’m personally not a fan of the splayed stem notation - I’ve never seen it before so it makes me go “what?” before I get to the notes. It also sort of looks like the a natural should be played first because it’s stem goes down to the beam?  I would rather have the b-double flat notation - then the motion b-flat, b-double flat, back to b-flat is clear, and a g-sharp in the middle of flats would make my brain do a double take… I think that’s clearer than the a-flat and natural next to each other, and respects the spelling. It makes it clear it’s just the top voice of each chord that’s moving.

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 1:37 PM Knute Snortum <ksnortum@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 9:32 AM Leo Correia de Verdier
<leo.correia.de.verdier@gmail.com> wrote:

> I differ on that. For me, (and with the perspective of only this measure) both the option of respelling the a flat in only that chord (looks like the repeated a flat moves) and respelling the a flats in the whole measure (and having to read the second between a flat and b flat as a diminished third) are more awkward than reading the augmented unison. I slightly prefer the notation with both heads on the same stem, but find them both quite readable.
>
> 3 feb. 2022 kl. 18:13 skrev David M. Boothe, CAS <david.boothe50@gmail.com>:
>

> I also would prefer to see a G#. However between the two examples, I think the first is slightly more readable.
>
> That said, what are the subsequent A's supposed to be - flat or natural? As written, I would play them as naturals in the first example, but flats in the second example. Were I engraving this, I would put an explicit accidental, whether flat or natural on the fourth A, as well.
>

> dB
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022, 11:51 AM Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> > Speaking as a keyboard player (and lilypond novice) I would recommend re-spelling the a flat as a g sharp! Sometimes, theory has to take a backseat to readability.
>>
>> If theoretical correctness (or, say, accuracy to a previous source) isn't a requirement, then I agree with Charlie: this is a moment in which, as a keyboard player, I'd much rather see two different notes [by pitch name].
>>
>> Otherwise, I'd say the split-stem convention is [perhaps counterintuitively?!] more readable for me. If you want to do this in Lilypond, I'm pretty sure Harm has solved this particular issue (see e.g., https://archiv.lilypondforum.de/index.php/topic,1176.msg6932.html#msg6932).

Ok, the first attachment is using Harm's splayed stem chord function.
Better?  Worse?

Respelling the chord using a "gs" for the "af" is a possibility, but
what about respelling the "a" as a "bff"?  The second attachment shows
how that would look.

--
Knute Snortum