Re: LilyPond 2.23.6 released

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.23.6 released
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 20:51:04 +0100

Am Mittwoch, dem 09.02.2022 um 09:23 +0100 schrieb Mats Bengtsson:
> Googling around a bit, I foundhttps://www.tenforums.com/general-
> support/177551-how-do-i-preserve-original-folder-file-timestamp-zip-
> file.html, which explains how to unblock the extra security "feature"
> in Explorer that's behind these problems.

Hell, what?! This also explains why it works for me, I copy the zip
archive via a USB stick, to test it even before I upload it...

> Unfortunately, doing so requires admin rights on the machine, so for
> users with a locked machine that don't have 7-Zip installed it seems
> difficult to keep the file modification times when extracting the
> Zip.

Fortunately, there's an easy workaround for this issue: We don't care
for the exact timestamps, all we need is that .go files are newer than
their .scm sources. We can trick Windows into creating this situation
by putting the .go files *after* the .scm files (right now things are
sorted, so lib/ goes before share/). I found and used this solution in
the "old" proof-of-concept, but thought it wasn't needed with the
current way of creating the archive. Little did I know that Windows
treats files copied from USB sticks differently than downloaded files
from the internet...

> On the other hand, the previous installers can't be installed without
> admin rights either, so the new Zip distribution is at least a step
> in the right direction for Win users without admin rights

Yes, this is one of the motivations *not* to use an installer. It also
makes having multiple versions and removal of old versions no-brainers
🙂

Jonas