Re: LilyPond 2.23.6 released

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.23.6 released
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 11:48:23 +0100

Am Mittwoch, dem 09.02.2022 um 20:39 +0100 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via
LilyPond user discussion:
> Am Mittwoch, dem 09.02.2022 um 12:07 +0800 schrieb Jinsong Zhao:
> > Hello developers,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the transition towards Guile 2.2. I've switched to
> > 2.23.6/guile 2.2 on Windows 10.
> >
> > The only issue I have currently encountered is when the filename is in
> > Chines, for example "中文.ly", then lilypond could not generate PDF
> > file. It could generate corrected "中文.midi", and also could generate
> > correct ps and svg file, but the filenames are unreadable characters.
>
> I can confirm it's not working with the version using Guile 2.2 -
> however I remember that I tested this in the past and made it work,
> after fixing something in the LilyPond code. I'll have to dig up
> details and figure out what broke / changed...

Yep, I remembered correctly that there was a general issue with special
character filenames: https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6089
The problem was fixed quite some time ago in
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/612 and this
works, ie LilyPond produces the correct filenames and correctly encoded
contents. What doesn't work is Ghostscript converting the generated
Postscript to PDF, which I suspect is a packaging / cross-compilation
error on our side since it works with the official Windows binaries
from ghostscript.com and the older version of Ghostscript from GUB...

Tracked in https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6282, I'll
have to investigate how to solve this.