Re: Blind and visually impaired users learning LilyPond

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Blind and visually impaired users learning LilyPond
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 00:51:52 +0100

Hello Tyler,

Are the defaults biased against people with visual disabilities? I’d say no.
They are maybe not perfect, but there is surely no intent to make it harder
for people with visual disabilities to use it. If just has never been a major
concern for the small set of developers.

Also I think Lilypond’s way is not really that suitable for such needs.
Lilypond’s syntax is all about being quite powerful with what you can do with
it, and less about being easy to parse. I suppose many of the structures
Lilypond has will be quite hard to use, considering they can be quite hard to
read with perfect eyesight.

This approach allows us to have lots of power, but often this power is not
really nescessary. Thus what I’d suggest is to have a sort of wrapper language
that relies on text for structure, making it easier to navigate by stuff like
TTS. We surely could have something like a command line option to create midi
for each score, but I feel like default Lilypond is not really the most
adequate solution for this problem.

Concerning the documentation I’d say: Rather than shifting some elements to be
earlier or later we could have a dedicated point in the documentation for this
matter, with all of the information especially relevant for visually impaired
users in one place.

I’m sure no one here would oppose doing reasonable things to make Lilypond
more accessible, but for most people here this is not an issue, and most
people here do not know a lot about what is important in such cases. So we
also need your help to know what things are important, and what can be done
better.

Best,
Valentin