Re: Lilypond and Windows XP 32 bits

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Windows XP 32 bits
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 22:09:21 +0100

Le 14/02/2022 à 21:47, Prunifolia a écrit :
Hi,

By mistake, I already post this question onto gitlab (issue 6286) instead this
user list.So, I try to get help here.

I downloaded "Windows: LilyPond 2.22.1-1 for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8
et 10. "  from lilypond.org and run installation onto Windows XP family 2002 service
pack 3, 32 bits.

Setup program runs perfectly (no warning or error like only 64 bits OS
supported..).

"Show details" confirms at the end "Completed", with no errors.

I launch lilypond from XP Menu : Error message : Lilypond-windows. exe "This application
can not start because the setup of application is wrong. Reinstall to resolve this issue"
(exact message in french language : "Cette application n'a pu démarrer car la
configuration de l'application est incorrecte. Réinstaller l'application pour résoudre le
problème).

Remove and another setup is same.

I try to launch from console, after setting variable environnement (path). Error :
"The system can not execute this program" (Le système ne peut exécuter le
programme spécifié).

It seems that python installed with the setup pack make trouble because this is
a 64 bits version, that clearly answered python.exe in LilyPond /usr/bin
subfolder.
32 bits Python for XP seems to oudated back before 2015 for a additionnal
install from python official website.

My question on gitlab  results to no support for old OS, despite Lilypond
download page ensure windows 2000 and XP support
(https://lilypond.org/windows.html).

Perharps someone can help me, Lilypond likes wonderful software.

Thanks.

I'm sorry to say this, but nobody will be able to help you.
Compiling and packaging LilyPond is an extremely involved process,
builds take hours with the current infrastructure, and the
new infrastructure we are currently replacing it with creates
64-bit binaries, so they won't run on XP. Please understand that
LilyPond is developed and maintained by a small group of volunteers
who do this in their free time. Testing OSes and fixing OS-specific
problems takes a lot of time, especially with Windows, and XP has
been unsupported since 2014, meaning that there will most likely
be numerous obstacles on the way to getting it to work, related
to other software that has also long dropped XP support. I
doubt anyone will make this their priority. By all means prefer
upgrading your OS if you can, as it is also very insecure
by now. If you cannot, the only solution I can imagine
will be to run an outdated version of LilyPond like 2.18.

Best regards,
Jean