Re: Teaser: Animated Lilypond Scores

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Teaser: Animated Lilypond Scores
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 19:01:32 +0100

Huh, this is quite an amount of replies.

The script basically works by inserting information about the current beat as
well as the timing into the score, which is then output to svg. We then parse
these svg files to retrieve this information and remove the codes. These
cleaned svgs are then converted to png files. These are then turned into frames
and sent to ffmpeg. Converting the svg is done using inkscape for now, as this
one handles ligatures and such stuff. Of course this means that we lack otf
features for now.

Currently this thing supports multiple pages as well as automatic scrolling
(both vertically and horizontally). Support for repeats, jumps and omissions
will eventually come, as well as handling of multiple scores (which I’ll
implement by using score IDs.

Alignment is done by setting the context property Score.timestep to the time
in seconds. For jumps and repeats this will probably at some point allow
giving a list of timestamps, one entry for each time the part is played.

@Paolo: I started this because I just couldn’t get ly2video to handle timing
well (that one uses a relative approach, so timing is adjusted by bpm. This is
of course extremely volatile, as errors can sum up. My script instead aligns
by the actual timestamp.). Also ly2video has to compromise on quality and
speed as it works mainly on png. And yes, I’m going to publish the script once
I’ve got it in a better shape. So far I’ve only been working on it a few
hours.

@Kira: Glad you like it!

@Kevin: Syncing up to MIDI is surely possible. My script is fast enough to
make display in realtime viable (and if we can modify the viewer of
frescobaldi to draw additional stuff we can get even faster. So it should very
well be possible to do something like this for Frescobaldi.

@Hendur: This script is written in python so far. Currently it relies on the
output of Lilypond, eventually it should do stuff like running Lilypond and
injecting relevant Lilypond code automatically.

@Mario: Yes! I will not give a more detailed explanation than the above for
I’m a bit too tired now. I’ve currently just spend a few hours on this thing,
once it is in a better shape I will make this available.

@Tom: No, I’m not asking for feedback at this point.  I’m just letting you
know that I have something like this in the works. Once I have this far enough
to be usable I’ll be open for feedback.

@Kenneth: I don’t think you need to wait long, but I need to add some
logistics first.

Cheers,