Re: web page comments

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: web page comments
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:04:22 +0100

Hi Rich,

Le 10/03/2022 à 19:01, Rich Morin a écrit :
I just found out about LilyPond today and find it very interesting.  However, I
have a few issues to raise about the web site in general and the landing page
in particular.

Looking over the site, I ran into a large number of very pretty graphics that
demonstrate LilyPond's input and output formats.  Unfortunately, these would be
completely inaccessible to blind users.  So, I'd like there to be some sort of
accommodation made to give these users a way to understand what is being shown.

The thing is, nobody in the current development team is blind.
Thus it is difficult to know how a blind person will perceive
the website. If you have detailed suggestions of how to improve
it, they will be welcome on the bug-lilypond mailing list
(http://lilypond.org/bug-reports.html). Even better, of course,
would be to make the changes yourself and propose them as a
source code patch (see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/contributor/working-with-source-code).

I'd also like the landing page to mention LilyPond's ability to generate MIDI
files, etc.  Looking at the page, one could easily get the impression that it
is only useful for generating scores.  However, it appears that it could easily
be used as part of a text-to-music toolchain, which could be of interest to
both blind and sighted users.

To be honest, MIDI generation is not really LilyPond's forte.
It works, but the audio rendering is not stellar, and not very
customizable at the moment. Thus I would be a bit hesitating
to put it forward on the website before it improves, as the
graphical output is what LilyPond is most good at.

Finally, although I was able to find some discussion in various mailing lists
about using braille with LilyPond, I couldn't find any official web pages on
the topic.  This seems like a deficiency that should be addressed.

What kind of usage do you mean? LilyPond itself has no dedicated
support for Braille, but some external tools do. CCing Jacques
who will certainly be able to tell you more about that.

Best,
Jean